HYGIENE CLEANINGS AND EXAMS IN DOWNTOWN VANCOUVER
DENTAL EXAMS NEAR YOU
Your initial visit will involve a comprehensive dental examination which evaluates your overall dental health. At regular check-ups your dentist and hygienist will do the following:
- Examination of X-Rays – Essential for detection of decay, tumors, cysts, and bone loss as well as checking the position of teeth and roots.
- Oral Cancer Screening – checking the face, neck and oral tissue for unusual lumps or patches. A VELscope screening can also be done.
- Examination of Tooth Decay – checking all teeth for any erosion of tooth structure.
- Examination of Existing Dental Work – checking the status of all restorations such as fillings, crowns, bridges and veneers.
DENTAL HYGIENE CLEANINGS NEAR YOU
Hygiene cleanings are performed by our Registered Dental Hygienists and may include the following:
- Removal of plaque – Plaque is a sticky film of bacteria that covers the teeth. This bacteria releases acids that cause the tooth enamel to break down. Without regular removal by brushing and flossing, buildup of plaque can lead to calculus and then to periodontal disease.
- Removal of calculus (tartar) – Calculus is a form of hardened dental plaque that has been left on the tooth for too long and is now firmly attached to the surface. Calculus can only be removed with special dental instruments.
- Polishing – Removal of stains and plaque that have built up on the teeth.
- Fluoride – Short rinse of fluoride that will strengthen the tooth enamel and aid in the prevention of tooth decay.
- Oral Hygiene Instruction and Education – Personalized information to help develop better oral hygiene skills and prevent cavities and/or periodontal disease. This may involve the use of an intra-oral camera to view your teeth and gums.
- Periodontal Screening – small dental probe is used to measure the sulcus (pocket or space) between the teeth and gums. Healthy sulcus measures 3 mm or less and does not bleed. If the sulcus is greater than this the hygienist may diagnose gingivitis or periodontitis.